A domain contains a group of computers that can be accessed and administered with a common set of rules. For example, a company may require all local computers to be networked within the same domain so that each computer can be seen from other computers within the domain or located from a central server.
What is Domain Name?
A domain name is the address where internet users can access your website. A domain name can be any combination of letters and numbers, and can be used in combination of the various domain name extensions, such as .com, .net, and more.
The Domain name must be registered before you can use it.
Why is Your Domain Name important?
You see , your domain name is the key element of your website. It can make or break you, so it’s crucial to choose a domain name that works for your business.
1. It’s Your “first impression”. Your URL is the first thing your visitors will see. A good domain name can make a positive and lasting impression, while a bad domain name can send visitors running.
2. It affects SEO. While exact match domains are no longer a necessity , keywords in your domain name can still help your SEO ranking.
3. It defines your brand .- Your domain name is a brand oppurtunity!
The right domain can increase brand recognition.
How To Choose The Perfect Domain Name?
1. Use the correct Domain name extensions.
According to research from Domain Name Stat , 43% of all domains have the “.com” extension.
Because “.com” is the most familiar and easiest to remember.
While there are many successful websites with a “.net” and “.org” , your website will probably do better if it has a “.com” extension. It’s the safest bet.
2. Brandable name
Creative and brandable are always better than generic. Your domain name is how the visitors will find, remember, and share your company on the web . It is the foundation of your brand. A branadable domain name is unique and stands out from the competition.
How to find a more brandable domain name:
1. Create new words. you can make your own catchy, new words. Google, Bing did the same.
2. Use existing words. You can use a thesaurus to find interesting words that fit your brand.
3. Use domain name generators. These tools can help you create a unique, brandable domain name from your initial domain ideas and keywords.
3. Easy To Type And Spell
Google, Facebook , Instagram are some of the examples of the name which are easy to spell and type ofcourse. Your viewers should be able to type your domain name without a problem. No complicated sentence should be there.
As easily as your domain name rolls off the tips of your fingers, it should roll-off the tip of your tongue. This makes it easier for visitors to share your domain name to others as well .Pronounciation is what matters .
4. Avoid Numbers
Easy to spell and pronounce are done but now numbers can become a hurdle too. They can make it more difficult. What if Instagram would have been Insta1Gram it would have become more difficult to explain to anyone.
It would have not spread so quickly in that case. Your domain name should be easy and smooth , no numbers should come in that way.
4. Short Length is the Best
When it comes to length, it should be short and concise. Aim for minimum characters(6) and maximum characters(15). As you know, the shorter, the better.